Thursday, April 8, 2010

After Class 4/7

In today's class, we learned about American Kitsch. Personally, I kinda like American Kitsch (German for "in bad taste") and the era behind it. To me, it's always going to be viewed as "50's Style" and/or "retro style". It reminds me of the 50's when poodle skirts, Looney Toons, Big Boy, and drive-ins. Almost of back home with Detroit, old classic cars, and most importantly, the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit. It is an annual celebration of the golden age of cars, style, music, and everything else that can be linked to the 50's. If you grew up in the Metro-Detroit Area at all, the Dream Cruise is a big deal. And American Kitsch reminds me of it every time I see any form of it. From typography to images, it will forever be ingrained into my head as a part of my life even though it was over 60 years ago.

Question: Why, if it was such "bad taste", is American Kitsch so beloved and remembered? Will it always be remembered after the people of that generation are gone??

No comments:

Post a Comment