Tuesday, March 2, 2010

After Class 3/1

Today in class, instead of having our normal read and go over what we had learned day, we had a total review of what we have learned so far. I personally needed it because I am still kind of out of it from conference. What we did was we divided up into groups of 3 and were given a stack of images, dealing with a certain aspect of what we had learned so far. My group had images dealing with the typography of our knowledge, starting with the very beginning in the Caves of Lascaux and spanning all the way to moveable type and sans-serif font. It was truly a nice refresher because I feel like I have learned a lot, yet when it comes to specifics, I do struggle a bit. Thankfully, with the new installment of graphic notes, I will be able to remember people, events, typefaces, and designs a lot easier. It was nice to remember the order of pictograms, petroglyphs, and ideograms, along with the types of type–Old style, transitional, modern, and script. I am sure by the end of this semester, those 4 different font styles will be burned into the back of my head. Hey, I don't have a problem with it =D


Question of the day: When it came to different typefaces with the invention of moveable type, how were new typefaces conceived? Like why were there so many variations of the same font?

No comments:

Post a Comment